We’ve talked about your biggest lessons of the year on the podcast.
We’ve had a year-of-review and dug into some of my biggest takeaways.
Before the ball drops to ring in 2024, let’s also talk about what you can let go of and leave behind in 2023. Because some things aren’t worth dragging around and are so 2023.
7 things I want you to leave behind in 2023
1. Believing you owe anyone except yourself (and your clients specifically for what they’re paying you for) anything.
I know for my people pleasers and overfunctioners this is a tough one. I left this one behind a few years ago, and I have to tell you, it feels f*cking fantastic.
2. Thinking if you can just figure out what so-and-so is doing, you’ll have their results and success.
I can tell you one thing they’re not doing is giving their power away to someone else they barely know on the internet.
3. Guilt. Money guilt. Mom guilt. Dad guilt, for that matter. Guilt about the business investment gone wrong you made five years ago. Guilt about that thing you said and wish you hadn’t when you were 23. Guilt about having success when others struggle.
I don’t even need to know your personal guilt flavor, and I know it isn’t serving you.
4. Trying to figure out why that person who ghosted you…or hired someone else…or said they couldn’t afford to pay you, and went on a retreat weeks later they instagrammed about.
Maybe they just weren’t that into you. Maybe they had a stronger relationship with someone else. Maybe they got gifted that weekend away. Maybe they felt ashamed or uncertain or overwhelmed.
Let it go and focus on the humans in front of you, instead.
5. Not backing yourself and your decisions.
How is anyone else going to feel ready to follow you or buy from you if you aren’t willing to go first?
6. Strategy hopping. Stopping and starting. On again off again with your business.
Unless you want to guarantee you’ll be in the same place, this time, next year.
7. Checking every few days to see if your strategy is working and declaring it’s not when you can’t see immediate, visible results.
AKA metaphorically opening the oven every few minutes to see if your soufflé has risen. Or digging up the seeds you just planted to see if they’ve grown at all…and declaring “it’s not working” when your soufflé has fallen and your seeds aren’t full grown plants.
Business results take time, and you only delay your growth every time you do this.
Your business isn’t any more broken than the soufflé recipe that requires it be left alone to fully rise in the oven before opening the door…or any more than seeds need a little time to sprout a root system before they grow a plant above around.
These are all things you’ve heard before and know on some level. So, how about, deciding this is the year to leave all of these behind. I promise, you don’t need them anywhere you’re going in 2024.
Here’s to letting go of what no longer serves you and opening yourself up to all that’s in motion and on the way to you in the new year!
Wishing you your version of success and a happy New Year!
P.S. I’m off this week enjoying family and holiday time, but I’ll be back at my desk READY for you in the new year. Know 2024 is your time to make reliable and recurring $10k and $20k months?
I’m currently meeting with potential clients for coaching intensives and 1:1 spots opening up in February.